Chinese Immersion Program
Chinese Immersion Program Details
Maryknoll School is surveying current and prospective parents to determine interest in a K-6 Chinese Immersion Program in Mandarin, welcoming kindergarten and first grade students for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Language immersion programs allow students to excel in a new language through extensive classroom instruction. Maryknoll’s Chinese Immersion Program would allow students to hear and practice Mandarin 50% of every school day. Studies have shown that this time investment has a distinct advantage over other types of language learning.
A kindergarten immersion classroom would follow the same curriculum as the non-immersion classroom:
|Morning Classes: Mandarin (50% of day)||Afternoon Classes: English (50% of day)|
Language Art Story
Students in immersion programs achieve the same levels of competence or better in academic subjects as non-immersion students. Students who participate in immersion programs for 4-6 years achieve the most benefits, including:
- Meta-linguistic awareness and reading acquisition
- Strong divergent thinking and problem solving skills
- Increased attention and better memory
- Greater tolerance and cultural sensitivity
- Expands college and career potential
- Improved standardized test performance
- Better at planning and decision making
If you have any questions, contact Jill Canfield, Director of International Programs, at (808) 952-7389 or email@example.com.